Thursday, 29 October 2009

Boomz-ing in Pride

My trip to Vivo last weekend inspired me. I strolled past NewUrbanMale, and they were having a BOOMZ sale with LEOPARD PREENZ wear. I wasn't making this up. I read this on the signage outside the entrance. That's exactly what they printed.

It seemed to be the latest tad for advertising and in my opinion, has enhanced our “Singaporean identity crisis”…. Wahahaah.

I was chuckling at the thought of how this Ris Low lady had ruled our life and created the 'new lingo' and utilising this 'newly-created' lingos such as 'boomz' or 'shings' to spice up our Singlish vocabulary. We are poking fun at her poor grammatical and pronounciation mistakes, and we are asking ourselves, is she real or what? What is wrong with her? Not only is she so cheena, her attitude puts off a lot of people.

I supposed there is nothing wrong with her, she is just a result of media attention and probably a little too much to ask, but she has became what we all call it, a media whore.
This is probably what she wanted to achieve, a new-found celebrity status and even though she pulled it the wrong way, well, she made it. And she owes her 'success' to everyone of us.

We poked fun at her, we laughed at her diction, we talked about her almost all the time when we sat down for coffee. So there you go. We 'created' her 'success'. The more we talked about her, the more 'popular' she is and she is probably smirking and brimming with pride on how 'famous' she has become. Face it, not everyone has the conscience or the ability to reason or judge, as well as some others. She may not be living with similar values with all of us. Despite her controversial credit card frauds and all her actions on camera, she is proud of herself. She is one person who had grabbed attention whether the right or wrong way. She has milked us off, all the attention she wants. She did it. She is recognised now.

I'm no grammar Nazi (as my husband thought so), but some people who posted videos of her in FB and blogs and youtubes, are no different.

I was reading some comments about her, and yea, we are all guilty. We spell simple words and phrases wrongly too (and this is not short-form or internet abbreviations, I assure you). We also tend to use our tenses and vocab in the wrong way.
Some words/phrases I come across in the comments: "Roll Model"
or "what happened recently issues"

Actually, we all have a little Ris Low in all of us. It's just how apparent we want it to be.

My two-cents worth. Many might not agree with me though.
And I respect that.

No comments: